Comment Wall

Indian Food: Wikimedia

https://sites.google.com/view/festivalsandfood/home

Comments

  1. Hey! I really enjoyed reading your introduction. You will be talking about something relatable, food festivals.
    Starting with the first festival, Holi. I wonder if this festival is normally celebrated by all of the nation, or if it is just younger people. Although you have included a link to Wikipedia on your page, it might be a good idea to expand on more details about the festival.
    Other than that detail, I really enjoyed your introduction. It will be nice to see you expand on the topic. The photos were also a good addition to the post. Normally, most of the blogs that I have seen has only included one or maybe even two pictures. But, I would maybe like to see more specific photos of the festivals as well.
    Overall, I learned a lot about Indian food festivals. Honestly, I did not know anything beyond the food at Indian restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jonathan! Not going to lie, I clicked on your storybook because I like food. I also like festivals. They are both a good combination. I think your banner photo is really cool and vibrant. I like how you decided to go a different direction than most students and write about festivals and foods rather than write stories about the characters or epics. I am excited to learn more of the culture! I think this brings our learnings in a full circle. I like how you know what you are going to talk about. I think it would be super cool if you could add a recipe link to the common foods just to add an extra pazazz. Holi seems like a nice holiday! I wonder if the word originates from "holy". I look forward to reading more of your material!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jon! For the banner image, maybe you could search for one that has to do with the general idea of your storybook so that when someone goes to your website, they’ll immediately be intrigued with your banner image and how it relates to your stories. You could also change the banner image for each page that you have so that it can summarize in a picture what your story is about. I really like that you chose to do your storybook over food though! I am a huge foodie and it’s literally all my introduction is about. Festivals are also a great way to describe someone’s culture and it gives people more information on the cultural background than just talking about food. I like the numerous amounts of photos you have in the introduction. The photos help break up the text and avoid having a long monotonous text. I enjoyed reading your first story and can’t wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jonathan!

    What a great idea to focus on food and festivals! Learning about holidays in other cultures is a fantastic way to become familiar with them. Your site is colorful, bright and a very cheerful place to visit. There were no functionality issues, and navigating was a breeze.

    For Holi, I would love to learn more about the demon Holika and the circumstances surrounding his death, and I would also agree with Chelsea: recipes for these could be really fun too!

    The layout of each page, introduction and Holi, works very well. Having all those pictures really helps with the feel of the festival, and I hope you continue to do this with each that follows!

    This is definitely the most educational (which doesn't mean boring!) page I've seen yet, and I enjoyed it. Perhaps you could even include a video from one of the festivals in the future.

    Looking forward to the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jonathan! What a cool and unique idea to center your Storybook project on Indian food and festivals! I have heard about the festivals of Holi and Diwali through my Indian friends here at OU. In fact, today, March 10, 2018, OU celebrated the Holi festival at the Walker Adams Mall!! I love the banner you decided on to go behind the word "Introduction;" it is festive and colorful and goes well with your Storybook theme. The only other thing that I would have to say is that maybe you could add a sentence or two more to the description of each holiday to your Introduction. For your story Holi, I enjoyed reading it and learning about the colorful holiday. Could you possibly explain and tell readers how color has to do with the holiday? I see that you talked about Vishnu and Holika. Do colors represent Vishnu's victory over Holika? If you could explain that that would be great. I loved how you incorporated food into the Story post because that is an important part of cultures and this holiday I am sure. To make this Story post more unique, you could possibly talk about your Holi holiday experience(s)! It would be neat to see Holi or any holiday from your experience! Overall, great Introduction and Holi story, and I am excited to read the remaining stories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Jonathan!

    I really enjoyed your story about Holi and I really like it. I have played Holi before and I really enjoyed it. There was a Holi on OU campus last Saturday but I had to work so I did not attend but many of my friends went. From what I have heard people in India is trying to save water so they are only using dry color and not use any water. There is so much population and people need water to drink so they say that water should not be use in Holi celebration. I really like the way how you present the story and food that is eaten during the festival. I have seen many people drinking Bhang when I was in India during Holi celebration. You mention how Holi came to be celebrate as one the festival but you should have mention why the demon Holika by the hands of lord Vishnu. Everything else was good and I look forward to read more stories in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to meet you Jonathan!
    I loved the choice in how you decided to do your story! Learning about Indian culture is incredibly interesting. I have never heard of Holi before, but it sounds like loads of fun and it is definitely something to add to my ever extending bucket list, although the crowd in your picture seems slightly overwhelming. Though the amount of varying colors within the picture was amazing. I do love how you did extensive research on this subject. If I did not know any better I would say you had had previous experience with Indian culture. I wonder how you will decide to blend this with the Indian epics that we have read thus far in the class? There are a lot of beings that eat others that might work, basically any time someone is forced to fast. Thank you for the good read Jonathan! I look forward to reading your finished storybook.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jonathan!
    I love the concept for your storybook. Exploring traditions of other cultures is so fascinating and beautiful, especially now that we have a better understanding of the gods and mythology that is important to the culture. You chose beautiful pictures that really captured the traditions you were discussing. My one constructive comment is that I didn't quite understand how the food items related to the paint throwing. I assume that those are foods commonly served at festivals, but I think it may be beneficial to you page if you add an explicit explanation. You could also add a comment about how throwing colored paints has become so common in America (color runs, paint fights, etc.). Maybe you could add a section about the rise of such events in the States that aren't affiliated with Hinduism and how that has been received by the Hindu people. It may take a little research but I think it could add a lot to you page!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment